|Accommodation ~ Hotels
B&B ~ Self Catering ~ Hostels
Business Listings ~
The town was founded by St.
Jarlath and his legacy is very much alive today.
St. Jarlath, Bishop (Feast - June 6th) Jarlath is regarded
as the founder and principle patron of the Archdiocese of
Tuam. He belonged to the Conmaicne family, perhaps the most
important and powerful family in Galway during that period.
Jarlath was trained by a holy man and ordained a priest
along with his cousin.
He then founded the monastery
Cloonfush, just outside Tuam, and presided over that
monastery as abbot-bishop. Later, Jarlath opened a school
attached to the monastery, one which soon became known as a
great center of learning.
St. Brendan of Clonfert and St.
Colman of Cloyne were among his pupils at the school.
Jarlath died around 550 A.D.
The present Roman
Catholic Cathedral was built in the 19th century between
1827 and 1836. The building of this Cathedral started when
Dr. Oliver Kelly was Archbishop of Tuam. In 1832 the
Cathedral was dedicated to "Our Lady Assumed into Heaven".
Today it is known as The Cathedral of the Assumption.
Archbishop Kelly died in 1834 and was succeeded by Dr. John
MacHale who was Bishop of Killala at the time.
MacHale completed the main entrance and bell tower in 1836
when the Cathedral was officially opened. It is interesting
to note that the building of this Cathedral started two
years before the passing of the act of Catholic Emancipation
by the British Parliament in 1829.
features of this Cathedral are the carved stone faces beside
the clock faces and at the sides of the two blind windows at
the front of the Cathedral. On the inside of the Cathedral
the outstanding feature is the east window. The year the
Cathedral was consecrated is noticeable in the upper region
of the window. The four Evangelists are depicted along with
Our Lady and the child Jesus which forms the centre piece.
This Cathedral has undergone a number of renovations in
recent times. In 1968 the interior was completely changed to
bring it into line with the concepts which came from the
second Vatican Council. In 1991 the sanctuary was redesigned
with the style of the main alter and baptismal font becoming
circular and being made of Wicklow granite. The most recent
change in 1998 was the replacement of the old Christmas crib
with a complete set of new figures in the traditional style
and were donated to the Cathedral by the present Archbishop
Most. Rev. Dr. Michael Neary.