Browse by Categories
  Towns / Villages
  Accommodation
  Arts / Crafts
  Attractions
  Business Directory
  Education
  Employment
  Entertainment
  Festivals
  Genealogy
  Heritage
  Industry
  Leisure Activities
  Links
  Maps
  News
  Photo Gallery
  Political
  Property
  Restaurants
  Shopping
  Sporting
  Tourism
  Travel
  Weather
  What’s on
Ballinderry Castle Corofin Tuam County Galway Ireland
Home Advertise Contact Us

Accommodation  ~ Hotels  ~ B&B  ~ Self Catering  ~ Hostels  ~ Restaurants 
Property  ~  Business Listings  ~  Attractions  ~  Activities  ~  Maps
    
 
Ballinderry Castle   ~   Tuam
 
Ballinderry Castle is in the barony of Clare, five miles south of Tuam, which the O'Connors made the capital of Ireland in the 13th century.
The Norman de Burgos built Ballinderry between 1450 and 1500. They were said to be 'more Irish than the Irish' and adopted Irish laws, dress, language and architecture.
Ballinderry was a moated castle on the shores of a lough that has since disappeared.
Ballinderry Castle near Tuam County Galway

    

The castle consisted of a keep with an inner ward and an outer ward that had a garden. At least two corner turrets at opposite angles strengthened the bawn of the outer ward that included a number of buildings. Access was through a gatehouse from the medieval road.

The castle was typical Irish architecture made of limestone with a mortar of lime, cattle hair and blood. The stone vaults were made with wickerwork supports of baskets forming the vault on which the stones were set in place with mortar. In many places the wickerwork, more then 500 years old, remain in place. The roof was covered with slates. Slate and cobble were on the ground floor. The walls were six foot thick supporting the 60-foot high building.

The ground floor was storage. The floor over it was the guards' quarters. The third floor was the kitchen that retains its massive six by three foot fireplace. The next floor was a suite of two rooms, the larger having a fireplace. The upper floor was the largest room, lighted by large windows. It also had a fireplace. This room was the living quarter of the master who had banquets there. The medieval toilets were at two different levels and retain the French name garde robe. Here clothes were stored preserved thanks to ammonia.

Defense was carried out from the battlements at the top, from the galleries at mid height and from numerous loopholes. On the ground floor all doors interlock themselves. The main door was strengthened on the outside by a yet and on the inside by a portcullis. If an attacker got into the lobby he was attacked from a murder hole in the ceiling and confronted by fire from a loophole facing inside. He would then have to climb the spiral staircase, which is clockwise giving an advantage to the defender manning the sword with his right hand. Communication between the floors was insured through chimney flues, which connect each other for that purpose.
 

 The Sheela na Gig at Ballinderry Castle near Tuam County Galway

Sheela-na-gig

This unusually-decorative and slightly-damaged Sheela-na-gig has the usual noticeable hair or head-dress: in this case two long plaits or braids, each twisted into a different pattern.

A rose, a bird (heraldic martlet), a very Irish marigold and two kinds of triskele surround her.

 
Ballinderry was taken by O'Donnell took Ballinderry in 1592, in the same year taken again by Lord Grey for the crown, who actually wrote a letter while he was there. Crowmwell's army also took the castle. The castle would be manned by at least 60 men. In 1659 Ballinderry was given to the Nolan family who had lost their 20,000 acres in Galway and in exchange received Ballinderry and adjoining lands. In the 19th Century they erected a manor and left the castle. Captain Nolan was a strong sympathizer to the nationalist cause and invited Parnell who stayed in the castle. The last military use of Ballinderry was as a British outpost during the troubles.
 

See more Castles in County Galway

 

 
Towns & Localities in County Galway

 Aran Islands | Athenry | Ballinasloe | Ballygar | Barna | Carna | Carraroe | Claregalway | Clarinbridge | Clifden | Clonbur | Corofin
Connemara | Corrandulla | Dunmore | Galway City | Glenamaddy | Gort | Headford | Kinvara | Leenane | Loughrea | Milltown | Monivea
 Mountbellew | Moycullen | Oranmore | Oughterard | Portumna | Renvyle | Salthill | Spiddal | Tuam | Turloughmore | Williamstown
 

home | towns | accommodation | B&B | hotels | self catering | arts | attractions | business | education | wap
employment | entertainment | festivals | genealogy | heritage | industry | leisure | links | maps | news | gallery
 political | property | restaurants | shopping | sporting | tourism | travel | weather | what's on | advertise | contact

Website designed by Western-Webs, Tuam County Galway Ireland 

©2007 County Galway Guide, all rights reserved